Choosing the Right IT Outsourcing Approach: Factors to Consider
Apr 27, 2023
Have a question?
A recent study conducted by Deloitte has shed some light on the main blockers for companies to achieve their main strategic goals. It showed that 50% of executives agreed that talent acquisition was the top challenge, followed by limited data analysis tools and technologies (35%) and little collaboration between functions (32%).
Companies face increasing pressure to stay competitive and achieve their corporate goals in a rapidly changing marketplace. Hence, the IT sector has emerged as a driving force behind the transformation of the business world, enabling companies to streamline operations and propel innovation.
While IT outsourcing may not be the panacea to all business issues, it may be a helpful tool in tackling some of them. IT outsourcing may improve business performance and give flexibility in scaling up operations, allowing the core team to focus on other critical business activities. All you need to do is find a trustworthy outsourcing provider who can meet your expectations.
Key tips on how to choose the right IT outsourcing partner for your company
According to Deloitte’s 2022 global outsourcing survey, the most sought-after qualities for an outsourcing partner are transparency (54%), trustworthiness (41%), and understanding of the business needs (40%).
As companies strive to remain competitive in the market, they are looking for IT service partners that can provide more than just technical competence. Companies want an outsourcing partner who can deliver efficient communication, customized solutions and outstanding customer service. With these requirements in mind, we’ve compiled a list of the top tips for finding a reliable IT service provider:
Define your IT outsourcing needs
Before beginning the search for a vendor, it is critical to have a thorough grasp of the services and solutions required. This includes identifying gaps and pain areas of your business, and developing goals for the outsourcing cooperation. Answering these questions, you will help you outline your needs:
- What IT services do you need to implement your project?
- Do you need short-term or long-term cooperation?
- What level of expertise and experience do you want from our IT services provider?
- What are the expectations for the project outcome and deliverables?
Defining IT outsourcing needs goes beyond a simple technical checklist. It necessitates a comprehensive strategy that considers every relevant issue, including risk management, future-proofing, and alignment with broader business objectives.
Research top providers
Websites such as Clutch, GoodFirms or DesignRush provide authentic client reviews and lists of top providers, which can greatly assist in the decision-making process. It may also be worthwhile to tap into your professional network and seek recommendations for reputable IT service providers. Thoroughly examine each provider’s website, taking into account their domain experience, technical expertise, case studies, and client testimonials. This will allow you to assess whether they possess the necessary experience and expertise required for the successful execution of your project.
Create a shortlist of the best
Once you have evaluated the vendors, you should choose the top 3–5 providers that are most suited to your project. By creating a shortlist, you can easily compare the strengths and weaknesses of each candidate and make a wise decision. Then, initiate a contact with each provider to discuss project requirements and assess the alignment with company goals. To enable your potential partners to understand the idea of your project, make a brief with tasks and requirements for developers. This well crafted brief acts as the cornerstone for efficient communication and teamwork, ensuring that all stakeholders are on the same page with the project’s objectives.
Create a partnership agreement
The establishment of a partnership agreement is a crucial process that demands the diligent definition of exact requirements, determined timelines, and defined deliverables. The partnership’s foundational communication and project management procedures must also be thoroughly discussed to ensure seamless collaboration and effective progress tracking. Choose the best engagement model for you, and agree on payment terms as well as any additional contractual conditions. By specifying all project components ahead of time, you may reduce misunderstandings and problems later in the collaboration. Such a method of project planning promotes responsibility and clarity, which is essential to the project’s successful execution.
Location-Based IT Outsourcing Models
Companies can select from various outsourcing approaches, each with pros and cons. The principal outsourcing approaches are referred to as offshore outsourcing, onshore outsourcing, and nearshore outsourcing. Understanding the distinctions between these are critical for businesses considering outsourcing to improve their operations.
Offshore outsourcing means working with an IT provider located overseas (for example, you are outsourcing IT services to Ukraine while your business is based in the USA).
Nearshore outsourcing is contracting with a service provider in a neighboring country (for example, you are a USA-based company, and your IT service provider is from Canada).
Onshore outsourcing is when a corporation contracts an IT vendor within the same country (for example, your company is in Chicago, and you are hiring developers from Pittsburgh).
Rates comparison and popular outsourcing destinations
Many aspects influence the cost of outsourcing software development in each region, including developer accessibility and skill set, the country’s economy, and local salaries. Look at review of rates in various places:
* based on salary.com
Top outsourcing locations in Central and Eastern Europe
The Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) region is an attractive hub for software development outsourcing for companies worldwide, with over 1 million talented and experienced experts. According to Statista, IT Outsourcing is the CEE market’s biggest niche, with a forecast market volume of $4.17 billion in 2023. The Central and Eastern Europe market combines quality, reliability, good communication skills, and convenient rates. This region is attractive for companies from Western Europe, the USA, and Canada.
Here, we have provided some compelling reasons why you should outsource your development services to the CEE:
- The CEE region has a closer cultural affinity and work ethic to Western customers than any other outsourcing locations, allowing for seamless collaboration and highly productive teamwork.
- The CEE countries follow the same standards as the rest of Europe. It includes adhering to non-disclosure agreements, copyright regulations, and standards such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- Based on EF Language Proficiency Index, Central and Eastern European countries ranked as proficient users of English.
Despite the war, Ukraine remains one of the leading European software development outsourcing destinations and IT talent hubs, offering top-notch software solutions.
- Showing great resilience and strength during the invasion, during 2022 the export of IT services saw a rise of 5.8% while revenue from IT increased by 13% from the previous year. Based on the IT Ukraine Association’s research, the majority of tech companies in Ukraine were able to maintain business operations, sustain productivity at a level of 85-90%, and resume positive growth trends.
- Approximately 100 corporations listed in Fortune 500 are choosing Ukraine for IT services.
- With almost 309K IT specialists, Ukraine ranks 1 out of 169 countries in The Good Country Index, in terms of Science and Technology contribution.
Poland has established as a popular destination for IT outsourcing because of its advantageous geographic location, highly qualified workforce, good business environment, and affordable rates:
- Poland has over 400K tech experts – the largest pool of developers in the CEE region.
- According to the Top Coder rating, Polish coders are ranked 6th globally regarding competence level.
Romania is increasingly becoming an attractive center for outsourcing. Romania has reasonable IT service pricing, making it a cost-effective alternative for outsourcing:
- Romania’s software development industry was worth €3.2 billion in 2022, ranking 13th in Europe.
- The Romanian IT and services sector employs 147K people.
The Estonian IT business is known for its speed, inventiveness, and forward-thinking approach, making it an appealing location for both entrepreneurs and investors.
- The Estonian IT industry today employs about 5% of the entire workforce and contributes nearly 7% of the country’s GDP, thanks to a continual influx of domestic and foreign talent.
- Estonia is ranked 3rd in the world in the ITU Global Cybersecurity Index.
Recently, Leobit has been recognized as one of the Top Custom Software Development Companies in Tallinn, showcasing our ability to consistently meet and exceed client expectations by offering tailored software solutions that address their specific needs and requirements.
Bulgaria’s IT sector is steady and constantly expanding, making it one of the most beneficial industries in the country.
- Bulgaria has over 70K IT professionals.
Your specific demands, budget, and goals determine the best outsourcing strategy for your company. When making a decision, examine the advantages and drawbacks of each model, and while choosing your IT services provider, consider factors like provider reliability, expertise, and communication process.
Leobit would be privileged to be your IT outsourcing partner. We have 9 years of experience in software development and a strong team of high-level specialists to handle any project, regardless of its complexity. Based on your unique project requirements, we can assemble a dedicated team from our offices in Ukraine, Austin (TX), Estonia, and Poland. Please do not hesitate to contact us for additional information regarding our services and expertise.